Investing In Research
Dr Sharon McDonnell oversees all research projects conducted by Suicide Bereavement UK. All these studies focus on aspects of suicide bereavement.
Suicide Bereavement UK
- Provides opportunities to participate in suicide bereavement research.
- Suicide Bereavement UK lead internationally in the development of evidence-based suicide bereavement training, which is informed by research conducted by Dr Sharon McDonnell and her teams. Examples include Postvention Assisting Those Bereaved by Suicide (PABBS) and Emergency Services Postvention Response (ESPR) training.
- Re-invests into independent suicide bereavement research conducted by SBUK’s research team;
- Dr McDonnell provides her expertise free of charge to selected research projects, for example, The National Suicide Bereavement Survey.
- She presents Suicide Bereavement UK’s research findings locally, nationally and internationally;
- Research is published in key academic journals.
- Makes Suicide Bereavement UK’s research articles free to view and available to all.
- Translates research findings into evidence-based suicide bereavement training (e.g. PABBS and ESPR training)
- Collaborates with charities and Community Interest Groups. Examples include the University of Manchester, If U Care Share Foundation and Support After Suicide Partnership
- A publication by Dr McDonnell and her research team has been included as evidence in NICE (2018) guidelines
- Influences policy, practice and provides expert testimonies for key policy documents (e.g. NICE, 2018 pg 74)