Andrea is based in Germany as a crisis intervention specialist and leads Suicide Bereavement UK’s crisis support service. She has a specialised and unique skillset, developed over more than 20 years working with and/or advising emergency services personnel, when a critical incident occurs. She is recognised as a leader in her field and has authored a book entitled ‘Responding After Suicide: A Practical Guide to Immediate Postvention’. The book offers guidance to emergency services personnel on how to respond to those bereaved by suicide.
Andrea has accrued a wealth of experience through working in several countries as a critical incident manager. In Germany, uniformed crisis interventionists (known as PSNV service staff) are available 24/7 and are dispatched immediately when cases are considered critical incidents. These crisis interventionists offer psychosocial support to first responders and civilians. Andrea trains and supervises these colleagues. She is also experienced in immediate suicide postvention, coaching first responders and supporting the bereaved during the first hours.
- 1997 Registered Psychiatric Nurse
- Certified in several areas of Stress and Trauma Care with Military Application
- Advisor to National and EU-Policy makers on strategic and tactical incident management and on policy concerning psychosocial support during and after critical incidents (for civilians and all first responders involved in the incident).
- Member of Family and Patient Centred Intensive Care (FCIC) Expert Group (www.fcic.nl).
- Expert at Zijspreekt, the speaking office for female experts (www.zijspreekt.nl).
Read more about Andrea
- Approved international trainer in: Strategic Critical Incident Management, Critical Incident Stress Management and Immediate Suicide Postvention
- Lecturer at first responder, police and national crisis academies in several countries
- Keynote Speaker: International Suicide Prevention Conference ‘When Someone Dies by Suicide’: Cologne, Germany (2019);
- Fluent in English, German and Dutch